Pre-Conference Workshop - Monday, June 17th, 2019
People don’t make “rational” decisions. Our brains evolved to help us survive. Get a deep understanding of the evolutionary pressures and older parts of the brain which are really in charge of our behaviors.
Learn how to influence the unconscious mind to persuade people, and skyrocket your marketing effectiveness!
What you will learn:
- Why you really have three brains, and which ones are really in charge
- Why doing nothing is often the most powerful option
- How to limit choice overload and focus on the desired outcome
- Why fear and loss are powerful motivators
- How to maximize value by framing and anchoring your offer
- The power of free offers and structuring your pricing for maximum impact
- Why giving people a “taste” will increase their commitment
Apply powerful neuromarketing principles to your own situation through interactive exercises and group discussions.
Instructor Tim Ash is the author of two bestselling books on Landing Page Optimization (translated into six languages), and CEO of SiteTuners, a strategic conversion rate optimization agency with offices in San Diego, and Tampa. Tim has developed deep expertise in user-centered design, persuasion and understanding online behavior, and landing page testing. In the mid-1990s he became one of the early pioneers in the discipline of website conversion rate optimization.
Over the past 20 years, Tim has helped a number of major US and international brands to develop successful web-based initiatives. Companies like Sears, Google, Expedia, eHarmony, Facebook, American Express, Canon, Nestle, Symantec, Intuit, Autodesk, Yahoo! and many others have benefited from Tim’s deep understanding and innovative perspective.
Today, in addition to providing strategic consulting services, Tim is a highly-regarded digital marketing keynote speaker and presenter at industry conferences worldwide including Content Marketing World, DreamForce, Inbound, Internet Retailer, Affiliate Summit, Shop.org, PubCon, SMX, and countless others. He is the founder and chairperson of the international Digital Growth Unleashed event series (formerly Conversion Conference) and a frequent contributor to print and online publications such as ClickZ, Website Magazine, Visibility and others. Since 1995, he has authored more than 200 published articles. In addition, Tim is the online voice of conversion optimization as the host of the Landing Page Optimization podcast on Cranberry.fm. Tim has been mentioned by Forbes as a Top-10 Online Marketing Expert, and by Entrepreneur Magazine as an Online Marketing Influencer To Watch.
Tim earned a dual-major Bachelor of Science degree “with highest distinction” in Computer Engineering and Cognitive Science from UC San Diego while studying on under a UC Regent’s Scholarship (the highest academic scholarship awarded by the UC system). During his PhD studies at UC San Diego he also earned his Master’s degree in Computer Science.
Digital Growth Unleashed - Las Vegas - Day 1 - Tuesday, June 18th, 2019
Dan Monaghan founded WSI in 1995, 3 years before the founding of Google. In those early days, Dan envisioned a world where business everywhere would need websites and set out to build a company to deliver services to them. Today WSI represents the world’s largest agency network, with offices in over 80 countries around the world.
Dan has a unique ability to envision the future of digital marketing and has shared these insights over the last 25 years as a bestselling author, speaker and thought leader. In this engaging session, Dan will take us on a time-machine ride into the future to explore how emerging technologies will not only change the world we live in, but change the landscape of digital marketing.
- How will machine learning and artificial intelligence give some digital marketers an unfair advantage over the competition?
- How will digital marketers monetize augmented reality and the more immersive world of virtual reality
- What role will bots play in the future of digital marketing, and could they even replace websites?
- How does voice search and digital assistants like Amazon Alexa turn the world of search engine optimization on its head?
- What is block chain? How will it impact privacy and the control of “eyeballs”? Does it pose a threat to the FAANG companies and the digital marketing power-players?
Dan’s thought provoking session will speak to these topics and more as we consider the threats and opportunities the future of technology and disruption holds for all of us.
Personalization increases KPIs in nearly every situation, except when you're creepy about it. You have so much information about your audience, you can literally include their own headshots in emails you send them. I'll show you how much information you have at your fingertips by walking you through this creepy example of personalization. Then I'll teach you the right ways to leverage personalization in your business, including the strategies, tactics, and technologies that will let you do personalization at scale.
Rather than chasing after the latest search trends or churning out content just to try and target a wider audience of new customers, you need to take a step back.Instead, start by assessing your website’s onsite journey and the experience it’s currently delivering to the people who are already interested enough in your brand to click through to it.In this talk, Rachel will share her own tried-and-tested methods of improving onsite user experience, conversions and keyword rankings by utilising CRO and UX techniques to get actionable insights into user behaviour and any roadblocks impeding the customer journey.
Don't just understand if a user likes your website; understand why and how they got there in the first place and whether they ultimately will choose you or your competitor.
Many businesses utilize User Testing to understand and improve website user experience, but fail to realize its farther reaching - and affordable - market research capabilities. User Testing can be used to secure market and competitive intelligence from your actual customers or look-alike audiences by having them walk & talk you through critical points in their path to purchase, their thought-processes, preferences & decision-making factors.
In this session we'll show you how to use User Testing to analyze:
1. Customers searching on mobile: what causes them to search, what terms do they search, how do they evaluate products and how do they make a decision.
2. Customers comparing your website or products to competitors: what is a customers perception of you versus the competition, who would they select and why.
3. Finally and most importantly, how to use these insights to generate more revenue.
The advertising landscape has shifted dramatically in the last year. There have been massive updates and new features from Google and Facebook, in addition to explosive new growth opportunities from LinkedIn and even Bing, among others. But the data shows that most advertisers are still using tactics from 2015, and wallowing in mediocrity as a result. In this engaging session, Lance will visually demonstrate the new ways of thinking and the specific steps that modern digital advertisers must take to achieve breakout success with their Digital Advertising campaigns.
In marketing, as in Scrabble, some words are worth more than others. They're the words with the power to convince and convert -- the ones that drive marketers' success in ads, emails, landing pages, websites, and more. And with mobile readership increasingly shrinking the physical space in those areas, a single word can make a sizable difference. Discover 26 (yes, one for each letter of the alphabet!) persuasive words and copy constructs that you can easily use tomorrow to increase your open, read and conversion rates. Hear about the scientific studies and in-market research supporting each. And leave ready to write more persuasive copy.
- The compliance trigger in the word Because
- The 28% difference between smashed and contacted
- The 140% lift of questions
- How to use Rhyme as Reason Bias
- Why the Scarcity Principle works
The power of your peers! Form into teams with other show attendees to brainstorm improvements to a real website drawn from the group. Each group will have a SiteTuners Director of Optimization to facilitate, and the winning group will win prizes - don't miss it!
As Search Marketers, we often find ourselves being asked to explain rankings, especially for highly visible, valuable head terms. But over the last year, Distilled's research has shown that that for these most competitive terms, the normal rules don’t always apply. In this talk, you'll learn how Google is going beyond our current understanding of ranking factors, and how you need to react.[Background for the DGU team: we have data about a concept we call the 'two-tiered serp', where it seems that Google has a set of criteria for sites getting into the bottom of the first page of results, and then a different set of criteria for moving into positions 1-5. I'll share all of this, as well as our latest advice about how to optimize for this and rank competitively.]
You need new customers. Well-crafted content marketing captures attention and brings visitors to your site from multiple channels. Content marketing can be overwhelming, however, without a plan that ensures you engage consumers where they play -- using long-form content, product information, social media content and video across channels. This panel will show you how to use data to develop content for your target audience to not only drive traffic to your site, but also capture the sale and keep new customers. Melanie Mitchell from Chewy will discuss how she approaches omnichannel marketing to win at capturing audiences from research to purchase.
The days of "Launch and See" campaigns are behind us. When behavioral data was expensive and time-consuming, this approach was justified. Today, you can answer almost any question you have about a campaign right from your desk, before you launch. Brian Massey will show you how to integrate behavioral science into your daily campaign development with specific tools and techniques. These are the proven strategies that have made Conversion Sciences successful as an optimization agency.
Are you tired of reactionless posts and a decline in reach? Want your brand’s personality to shine through social media content? In this session, you’ll learn how to personify your brand’s inner badass through social media content and tactics. We’ll give you the tools to identify the unique elements of your brand and how-to showcase them authentically using social media content and messaging.
Digital Growth Unleashed - Las Vegas - Day 2 - Wednesday, June 19th, 2019
People don't make "rational” decisions. Our brains evolved to help us survive. Get a deep understanding of the evolutionary pressures and older parts of the brain which are really in charge of our behaviors. Learn how to influence the unconscious mind to persuade people, and skyrocket your marketing effectiveness!
There are more opportunities in digital marketing than ever before, how do you figure out where to start? This session will provide you with keen insight on 4 of the biggest opportunities out there today as well as a roadmap on how to get started with each one. You’ll learn:*
- How the “Rise of Voice” will change the market and what to do to prepare
- Where Google’s algorithms are headed and how to take advantage of what’s coming
- Why On-Page SEO remains the killer opportunity that most sites are not addressing
- How content marketing can change the game for your brand’s reputation and visibility
In this session, you will learn practical techniques that will increase your competence in three key areas of conversion rate optimization: Diagnosing areas of opportunity on your website / landing pages, designing successful A/B tests, and analyzing the financial impact of your experiments. This session will be a hands-on experience during which we’ll run a live usability test and a live A/B test, using a landing page from an attendees website. You will learn not only how to diagnose areas of opportunity, but I will also teach you how to get corporate buy-in for running A/B tests on a live website. I will show you case studies from actual clients who have benefited from this methodology and testing framework that we’ve developed over the course of a few years.You will learn about the Weibull Hazard Function (a little known, but groundbreaking study about time-on-site in conversion experiments), and you will learn how to put your data into a spreadsheet that actually predicts the financial impact conversion rate improvements have on your bottom line. By the end of this session, you’ll be a much more well-rounded and competent conversion rate practitioner, being able to go beyond the basics of “suggesting areas of improvement” based on a gut feeling and being able to actually make efficient use of your time and resources, and most importantly, you’ll learn how to analyze and report on experiment results in a sophisticated and highly impressive way.
The art and science of ensuring your audience finds the information they need when they need it and where they are expecting to find it.
Remarketing is a crucial part of every paid media strategy, whether it be display remarketing, search remarketing, or paid social remarketing – audiences are a powerful weapon in a PPC manager’s arsenal.
This session will be focused on the data analyses and strategic considerations required to build effective remarketing campaigns.
The audience will learn:
- How to analyze data to design your remarketing strategy including who to target and when.
- Audience suggestions and case study data.
- How to create cohesive cross-channel strategies & measure success
- How to map your audiences to the funnel based upon your strategy
- What audiences to exclude and what to watch out for with audiences as exclusions.
- Example: session duration exclusions are commonly recommended and can be powerful but there are situations where these are a huge pitfall, such as in the cases of single-page landing pages where every bounce is considered a 0s session duration. Note: there is a workaround using GTM.
- Strategies for new prospects vs existing customers and clients.
- How to customize ad copy based upon audience usage.
- How to analyze whether remarketing is working, or if it’s cannibalizing existing traffic & what you can do about it.
- Campaign Examples & Results.
From the first keyphrase to the final conversion, this session connects every dot. Your content and your website are a bridge between a Google search results page and your website’s thank you page. Here is the complete approach to making that bridge a fast-flowing highway of continuous demand.Andy will walk through each step in the process for driving B2B leads with content marketing, from first action to final outcome.
- Who are we talking to? Why do they care?
- What are we ranking for? What are the two types of key phrases?
- How does PR and research build links, authority and ranking potential?
- What do we publish? And how will it be promoted?
- What topics, formats and collaborators support lead generation?
Learn to be a “dual threat marketer” by combining search and psychology, SEO with conversion optimization, cheese and mousetraps. There’s more than one way to generate demand for services. This is one of the best.
B2B digital marketing is still struggling with acceptance within traditional sales-focused organizations. The most often quoted reason - attribution. Amongst the main assumptions here, two are to blame for why only 33% of B2B companies report seeing value in digital marketing.
- The assumption that sales is fully attributable to the closing sales agent
- That we are selling to the same audiences we always sold to.
In this presentation I will address these damaging blind spots and look at five critical changes you can bring to your organizations so you can increase your sales.
- How to define what selling to the future would look like to you?
- How to find and use data to beat old assumptions of who your buyers are and truly get to know your customers. For example, a lot of ink has been spilled on articles about those “entitled” millennials in the workplace. It’s time for a reality check - those millenials are your buyers now. And 71% of them say they want personalized B2C-like experiences from B2B companies.
- Why the only way to proper attribution is through investing in the right data infrastructure
- The complex journeys to conversion and where marketing and sales play a par
- B2C-like personalization options in B2B marketing.
In this session, you'll learn how to master the art of reusing content to increase your visibility and reach measurable content marketing goals.
We will look at the different ways businesses have reused content and the results that have stemmed from doing so. We’ll also run a full content audit to learn what the best types of content to recycle are and rules to follow when reusing your content. Once you’ve gained a deeper understanding of reusable content strategies, we’ll then analyze how to measure the effectiveness of this recycled content and which tools will best help us find ROI.
You can expect to walk out of this session with an understanding of how to recycle your content at low costs and achieve high ROI.
Digital marketers, growth hackers, and conversion optimization experts have been increasingly applying psychological principles of persuasion to produce higher converting marketing campaigns, websites and apps. And there is no shortage of advice from these web psychology “experts” on how you too can apply psychology to mimic their results. There is just one problem. It’s not that simple.These principles can work in the right context, but unaware practitioners (those without practical or scholarly experience) often don’t understand the conditions that influence the effectiveness of these principles, how different principles combine and how their misapplication can actually backfire, triggering the opposite behavior they intended. While impossible to remove every single potential backfire, in this session I will help you graduate from unaware to aware in order to mitigate your risks.
Artificial intelligence, machine learning and data science practices are making it possible to quickly and repeatedly evaluate consumer data to reveal unique identifiers, segmentations and patterns that automatically inform marketing decisions and increase conversions. This approach could include identifying clusters of website visitors with a high propensity to buy in order to automatically optimize marketing campaigns and messaging. But leveraging large volumes of data requires the right resources and talent to implement. To compete with innovative industry leaders, you must empower your digital marketing strategies with AI capabilities.
In this session I will share:
• Leads-specific behavior insights that AI, machine learning and data science can reveal
• What to look for in an AI, machine learning or data analytics provider
• Critical first steps for implementing internal AI and data science capabilities
• Examples of how to leverage AI for analytics-based marketing decisioning